Thursday, February 5, 2009

An Anniversary of Sorts

Today marks 7 years. It's an anniversary of sorts, the anniversary of the day I began to find my voice, my strength, my passion.

Seven years ago today, Dan dropped his bombshell. It devastated me, it was the last thing in the world I was expecting to hear, and over the next several months, I wasn't sure I had it in me to pick up and continue on.

But then I found out I did. I found myself at a crossroads. Take the way of self-pity and bitterness, or take the way of self-discovery and love. I chose the self-discovery path, and while not easy it was most definitely the right choice!

I was already working part-time at the library, but the bombshell forced me to consider all my options. I went full-time, discovered I truly LOVE library work, and then was lucky enough to go back to school and obtain my MLIS degree. I've gained so much wonderful experience working at the library and I work with amazing people who are like family to me. I am blessed to do what I know I'm meant to do.

If 7 years ago hadn't happened, I don't know if I would have been motivated to go full-time and then go on to get my degree. I also think I would have remained the passive wife instead of going after what I want. It makes you think. You may lose one thing, but gain another. One door closes, but more than another door, a new outlook opens!

I know I'm stronger and I know I truly can do ANYTHING I set my mind to. Sometimes the result of a REALLY BAD experience is something great. But I don't thank Dan for that.

I thank ME.

3 comments:

Patti said...

That is cool. You are an amazing woman, you have done what you love most, and you have shown your strength to your daughter. What a voice you found!

Phil Hoover said...

love libraries and librarians...

Great blog...I hope to visit often.

I'm your neighbor in Illinois...

Annie Jeffries said...

Darn straight, you don't need to thank Dan. You did the right thing. Wallowed with ice cream for a while, I'm sure, and then picked yourself up and proved you are better for the experience. Good for you!!!