Monday, January 12, 2009

By God, the Wind!!!!!

Indeed. It is cold and getting colder and the wind is howling and the snow is blowing. Windy winter days always remind me of one of my favorite professors from Cornell.......

Cornell used to offer an England trip every other January. I was lucky to get to go in 1987. Yeesh, a long time ago.......anyway.......For 3 1/2 weeks, we traveled all over England and Scotland. It was an amazing experience. We saw amazing productions in London's West End, spent 10 days just in London, and traveled Great Britain, north and south. On one day, visiting Whitby Abbey in northern England, it was terribly windy. As we were getting off the bus to tour the Abbey, Stephen, our professor, flung his scarf around his neck, announced, "Dress warmly, children. By God, the WIND!" and marched off the bus. Stephen always had a flair for the dramatic, and this scene has always stayed with me, and makes me smile every time I recall it.

Tonight is definitely a "by God, the Wind!" kinda night, and I think tomorrow will be a "by God, the Wind!" kinda day!


But, here's a little something to warm you up - a lovely picture of our Leo the Lion, all orange and sunny looking, and full of all sorts of mischief. You can see it in his eyes!




1 comment:

Johanna said...

Aw, Leo is so handsome.

What a wonderful story. If it's any indication down here, the wind does subside, though I think you're on a different front than we are, or at least we're milder.

It is a whopping 1 degree here, though, according to my Weather Bug. But no snow. :)

Keep warm!