Sunday, January 18, 2009

A Wonderful Birthday

It has been a lovely birthday weekend. Added to that is knowing something else is going on this coming Saturday, so the birthday celebrating will continue! I have no idea what it is, I just know that two dear friends couldn't be with us on my birthday, so we'll be doing something, at least with them, on Saturday.

My birthday started out VERY lazy. Gillian and I took our time doing everything. My darling girl made me cupcakes on Friday, so we enjoyed cupcakes for a birthday breakfast. YUM.

Dan and Jerry picked us up about 4pm and off we went. East. To points unknown. We drove and drove, and I hunted for clues, but didn't get much. Finally I asked if we were going to Illinois, or staying Iowa. Dan said we were staying in Iowa, but don't trip. Hmmmmm. That made me think we were going to be VERY close to the Mississippi.

I was right! We ended up in Le Claire, right on the Mississippi, at a wonderful restaurant called The Faithful Pilot
We sat at a table overlooking the river and watched the sky darken to evening. Several trains chugged by. We enjoyed some Pinot Noir, wonderful food, and lovely conversation. I can't wait to go back.

We ended the evening at The Wig and Pen, a British Pub in Coralville. They were closed for over half of 2008 because of the flood, and reopened only a week ago. They are known for their pizza. The place was PACKED, and the pizza was as good as always. It was a great way to end a wonderful evening.

1 comment:

Annie Jeffries said...

I MISSED you birthday. So sorry. I've been hibernating and now surfacing. Belated happy birthday, Elaine. Hugs, Annie