Wednesday, January 21, 2009

DUH

Yes, a big DUH to me.

I've always felt pretty comfortable with technology. For the most part, it makes sense to me. I'm no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I can figure things out.

Or so I thought! Okay, let me backtrack a little. Several months ago, our modem died. We had a brown out in the area, and it fried my modem. After a (very) lengthy phone conversation with a tech rep. at Qwest, we determined the modem was dead, and they sent me a new one. And not just a new one - a brand new, updated, and sleek new modem. I downloaded the software to both computers, hooked it up, and thought all was good! Then I upgraded our service as well.

All was not good. I couldn't figure it out. For the last few weeks, it's taken FOREVER to get connected, we couldn't stay connected, and we've had to do constant repairs to renew our IP addresses and/our reset the router. It was getting very frustrating.

Finally, the other evening, I got down on the floor to reset the wireless router. I looked at the back, and discovered that perhaps the ethernet cord wasn't plugged in to the right spot. Lo and behold, there was another place to plug in the cord and it said INTERNET next to it. Feeling just a little bit sheepish, I re-plugged the ethernet cord into that spot, and BAM: our computers were instantly connected to the Internet!

DUH. Perhaps being more observant of those little details would be a good idea......

1 comment:

Annie Jeffries said...

Yay!!!! Welcome back to cyberworld. Real world problem solved.