Thursday, January 28, 2010

Better Late than Never, I Guess!

I know, I know, January is almost over and I've finally come to terms with my resolutions. Better late than never, right?

I've been thinking about how my resolutions can benefit not only myself but the Earth, too. I think that resolutions often fail because the intentions are often primarily selfish. Stop smoking, lose weight, etc., etc. Last year, Gillian decided her New Year's resolution would be to become a vegetarian. The reason behind her resolution was not to benefit herself. After hearing information about how animals become dinner, she realized she couldn't eat meat anymore. And she has been a vegetarian for a year now!

So, I started thinking, what can I do that will not only benefit myself but my community, and ultimately, the planet? I mentioned a couple of weeks ago about just focusing on the basics. The needs, not the wants. After everything I saw going on in Haiti, I feel a need to get back to basics. Simplicity.

There is also the pull to keep it local. Buy local foods, from local shops, which benefits local merchants and farmers. And, by buying locally, those foods aren't being transported over great distances, which burns more fossil fuels. Amazing how it's all interconnected......

I've decided, then. Simplicity is the theme for 2010. In addition, buy local, shop local. And with that, for the environment's sake, only purchasing as much food at one time as I can carry in no more than two reusable canvas bags.

We will see how it goes! Stay tuned.....

No comments: