Sunday, January 24, 2010

I Just Ate the BEST Dinner!

I love to experiment in the kitchen. Just mess around, put things together, see what works. In the winter, this is especially satisfying.

I've had a craving for some beef. Not something I normally choose to eat, but this weekend, that is what I wanted. Not burgers, something more substantial, and a better cut than just ground beef. Initially, I wanted beef short ribs, but I couldn't find them, so I settled for country style beef ribs.

It was a good choice.

Then I needed to figure out what to do with them! I knew I wanted to put them in the slow cooker, but with what? I finally decided on onions, mushrooms, some beef stock, and most of a small can of tomato paste. I threw it all in the slow cooker and let it go.

Wow. I made some mashed potatoes, and spooned the beef/mushroom/onion stew on top of the mashed potatoes.

Heaven.

No real recipe, I just made it up. But the flavors seemed to meld just right! And there's enough left for at least one more meal, if not two. I only did a pound of ribs, since it's just for me.

Success in the kitchen!

No comments: