Tuesday, September 9, 2008

For the Love of Libraries

I am a librarian. I consider it more of a vocation than just a job. I am certain I am doing exactly what I was meant to do with my life.

I started out as a part-timer, working when Gillian (my daughter) started pre-school. It evolved into a career, including completing my MLIS degree! I've done a little bit of everything at the library, starting as an assistant librarian, then assistant children's librarian, to youth and teen services librarian, and finally to my current title - adult services librarian.

Working in a small library gives me the opportunity to gain experience in areas I probably wouldn't if I worked in a larger library. We are a small staff of 9, so everyone does a little bit of everything. Work the circulation desk, work with patrons, take reference questions, etc. Plan, schedule and execute programs. Select, order, and catalog new material.

Every day is unique, and that is probably what I enjoy the most about being a librarian. There is nothing routine about it! In addition, since every day is different, and I never know what the day will bring, a carefully planned "to do" list often goes undone because other things come up!

A library is the heart of the community. We're here for everyone, young or old, rich or poor, educated or uneducated. When our patrons walk through our doors, they are treated equally. Everyone deserves equal access to information and resources. I love that.

No comments: