Friday, September 12, 2008

Rainy Weekends - A Great Time for Reading!

There is NOTHING like a Friday evening. The entire weekend is ahead, and it's time to kick back and relax.

Gillian had a short rehearsal tonight, and since it was short, I stayed, read, and watched a little. The ladies worked on the 'Sufferin' Suffrage' number, and the choreography is going to be terrific. It's very rough right now, but still great fun to watch!

I finished a wonderful book last night - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society, by Mary Ann Shaffer. The story is told in letter form between the main character, Juliet, her book editor, her best friend, and a number of people living on the isle of Guernsey, right after the German Occupation during World War II. Juliet is uncovering information about the occupation on Guernsey and how it affected the islanders so she can write a book documenting this event. The characters became so real to me, and the description of London and of the island immediately after World War II are very vivid. It was a fascinating read, and I highly recommend it. I enjoyed it so much I want to visit the Channel Islands now!

Tonight I started a new novel, The Distance Between Us, by Bart Yates. The author is from Iowa City. I am not too far into the story, but the premise seems to be about an aging piano teacher, once a well-known concert pianist, who was badly injured in a fall years ago and had to resort to teaching. Her husband had a torrid affair, they are going through a bitter divorce, and two of her children, who still live in town, have sided with their father and are very angry with her. She has taken in a boarder, and now the story is unfolding. I'll keep you posted.

The weather report promises a rainy weekend. Perfect for a pot of something in the slow cooker, and a pile of books by my side. Fall will soon be upon us, and the rain gives me a taste of my favorite time of year.

1 comment:

Johanna said...

We have had rain for the past 2 days. Last night we had tornado sirens and severe weather roll through. Perfect for watching CNN and relaxing! :)

I made pork tenderloin in the crock pot yesterday and I agree, rainy days are great to stay inside and have something stewing in the kitchen.

The books you read sound so interesting. I'm plowing through my pile of books. One of these days, I'll list them on Blogger. Reading is one of life's pleasures!

Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. It all means the world to me! :)